Free 500 USD laptop proposal

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Mon Nov 24 13:12:58 UTC 2014

Op 24-11-14 om 13:28 schreef Neal H. Walfield:
> At Sun, 23 Nov 2014 23:39:09 +0100,
> Paul Hänsch wrote:
>>
>> Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl>, Sun 2014-11-23 23:06:
>>> https://bryanquigley.com/uncategorized/would-you-crowdfund-a-500-ubunt
>>> u-open-to-the-core-laptop
>>
>> I don't get this point:
>>
>> ""quote --
>> - 128 GB SSD (this would be the one component that might have to be
>> proprietary as I’m not aware of another option)
>> -- ""
>>
>> Don't notebook SSDs appear as standerdised SATA disks these days? I've
>> never experienced any trouble with this class of device. Could imagine
>> that the internal ROM firmware is proprietary, but this should be the
>> case for a lot of the components (even when the loadable part of the
>> firmware is free).
>
> Don't trust a hard drive to not modify the data in flight:
>
>   http://spritesmods.com/?art=hddhack&page=5

This link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPEzLNh5YIo
is about SD cards and what's dangerous about them. But what you can do
with SD cards you can do with SSDs and USB sticks too, I would say.

And think about removing data what's in bad blocks. I think it's not
possible to remove that data without destroying the SSD. An SSD could
even copy all your data to hidden parts.

I would like SSD's without a controller, where the OS is reponseable for
bad-block mapping and wear leveling. Or SSD's with open source firmware.

See here a list of the tasks of the processor in a SSD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Controller

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

> Neal

Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl