Free 500 USD laptop proposal

Paul Hänsch paul at fsfe.org
Sun Nov 23 22:39:09 UTC 2014

Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl>, Sun 2014-11-23 23:06:
> https://bryanquigley.com/uncategorized/would-you-crowdfund-a-500-ubunt
> u-open-to-the-core-laptop

I don't get this point:

""quote --
- 128 GB SSD (this would be the one component that might have to be
proprietary as I’m not aware of another option)
-- ""

Don't notebook SSDs appear as standerdised SATA disks these days? I've
never experienced any trouble with this class of device. Could imagine
that the internal ROM firmware is proprietary, but this should be the
case for a lot of the components (even when the loadable part of the
firmware is free).

The specs are not high end. In this vicinity I could also recommend some
of the contemporary Chromebooks. Most of them run with coreboot by
default. The hardware of some models[1] runs out of the box with 100%
Free distros. The processors are similar to the Intel Core series, but
usually branded as Intel Pentium or intel Celeron, those names take some
getting used to. Wikipedia has a very useful ressource[1] in this
regard.
Just stay away from the ARM Chromebooks, they depend on proprietary
graphic acceleration (the unaccelerated graphics delivered by the Free
driver isn't worth your money).

[1]Using the Acer C720 myself, but the specs are lower than the proposed
   notebook
[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_microprocessors
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_intel_celeron_microprocessors
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Atom_microprocessors

--
Paul Hänsch                     █▉            Webmaster, System-Hacker
                              █▉█▉█▉