Heartbleed - Your comments about the Newsletter

theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch
Fri May 9 13:03:57 UTC 2014

Am 06.05.2014 10:10, schrieb Matthias Kirschner:
> I am interested in your feedback about the Heartbleed part of the May
> Newsletter <https://fsfe.org/news/nl/nl-201405.en.html>:
>

>   == Heartbleed and economic incentives ==
>
> You probably heard about the bug in the Free Software OpenSSL nicknamed

Good article, Matthias! But: it is also about human laziness. This
applies certainly to me. One of the reasons I never used Windows much
was the vulnerability to viri and the perceived requirement to use
virus-sanners. With Linux I have never used any security measures other
than a NAT router and never knowingly experienced any malware, while my
Windows-aquaintences were often experiencing infected systems in spite
of using anti-virus software.

Therefore, I have never bothered to encrypt anything, have keys but
never use them, etc. Therefore I expect people will not bother with
security until it becomes really easy.

Cheers, Theo