Open Letter to European Commission: Stop DRM in HTML5

Jack jack at jackpot.uk.net
Tue May 6 13:30:39 UTC 2014

On 06/05/2014 09:35, Matthias Kirschner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On today's "Day against DRM" we sent an open letter to the European
> Commission
> <https://fsfe.org/activities/drm/open-letter-ec-drm-html.en.html>,
> asking the EC to prevent Digital Restrictions Management technology from
> being closely integrated with the HTML5 standard.
>
> The PR is available here:
>
>    https://fsfe.org/news/2014/news-20140506-01.en.html

I think that might potentially produce cause for regret.

That is, if this appeal is successful, and the EC 'prevents' (how?) DRM
being closely integrated with HTML5, that would set a precedent for EU
legislators to interfere in internet standards.

Government (and inter-governmental bodies) are not well-equipped to
evaluate technical standards - they rely on advisors (and more to the
point, on lobbyists) to interpret them.

Surely the correct target for this letter would have been the WHATWG and
the W3C?

--
Jack.