Article "Software patents should include source code"

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.cat
Tue Mar 4 06:59:44 UTC 2014

A 03-03-2014 10:55, Matthias Kirschner escrigué:
> Joinup has a summary from discussion about software patents:
> https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/software-patents-should-include-source-code
>
> Next week I will be in a panel discussion with the European Patent
> Office at Cebit, and I am interested in your opinion about the article.
>
> Regards,
> Matthias

I know many people don't understand or agree with this basic
epistemology, but
software is immaterial. It's more or less what they mean when they say
it's "thought".
What software is has nothing to do with any physical force, magnitude or
matter.
The same that any software says (and therefore does, because a program
is just an
explanation on how to solve a problem with a computer) is maintained if
you change
all physical details of support or computer running it.

A patent is a deal whereas society (we all) give away our freedom to
commerce on
an invention in exchange for information about an invention (that
otherwise we
assume ther would not exist or would not be public). You keep the
exclusive use of your
invention if you give away all relevant information on the invention.

Inventions have never in Europe included software. Inventions are
physical, material,
are methods of using forces of nature to your benefits. If you try to
force software
to be regarded as an invention you reach a fundamental contradiction,
because
software is information, you can't make the invention be information, so
now the deal is :
You keep the exclusive use your information if you give away all
relevant information on
the information.

The contradiction appears clearly. Either you publish the relevant
information (source open)
and don't patent or you patent without disclosing anythign meaningful
Software patents will never have full disclosure . The patent system is
inconsistent applied
to software. Economic or political opinion does not matter. It's
essentially flawed, not
amtter anyone's colorful ideas.