EU research funding + free software

Karsten Gerloff gerloff at fsfeurope.org
Thu Jun 26 08:03:33 UTC 2014

Hi Nikos,

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:06:50PM +0200, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> > In short: An EU project usually isn't an efficient way to finance
> > our activities adn achieve our goals.
>
> Hello Karsten,
>  Note that my question is not about FSFE participating to EU projects,
> on the contrary, I asked whether FSFE would be willing to handle the
> paperwork for other european free software projects that are not a legal
> entity to participate.

We've contemplated that scenario several times. In the end, it
always turned out that the project's developers (and everyone
else) were better off if they participated through the university
or company partners in the project, rather than through FSFE.

> The scope of horizon 2020 is so broad that improvement of
> existing free software is certainly within it

No doubt. Actually, I hope that we can engage in a few projects in
the years ahead. But as I explained in my earlier mail, there are
more effective ways for FSFE to achieve its goals.

Best regards,
Karsten
--
Karsten Gerloff                      [ ]   <gerloff at fsfeurope.org>
Free Software Foundation Europe   [ ][ ][ ]      [http://fsfe.org]

Free Software Foundation Europe e.V. is a German Verein registered
at the Registergericht Hamburg (VR 17030).