PGP signing

Paul Hänsch paul at fsfe.org
Tue Jun 10 13:04:07 UTC 2014

Allan Irving <allanirving at allanirving.co.uk>, Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:38:53
+0100:
> I see. That helps clear things up. Out of interest, can one edit the
> comment left by a mail program on a signature and or the format? I'd
> personally prefer to have the message signed after my message, so it
> would say start there, rather with my message inbetween. Looks a
> bit...untidy. However, if it's the only way, then so be it.

No, this format is standardised *but* there are two common standards
for it. The format you describe is "pgp inline". A "pgp mime" message
consists of your plain message with a file attachment that contains the
signature. I find this much neater and use it myself (also in this
message).

You can normally configure your mail client to generate mime signatures
instead of inline signatures. Both formats are widely understood and
no configuration on the pgp capable receiving end will be required.

> *This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information
> that is privileged, confidential, copyrighted and exempt from
> disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not
> the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
> distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify
> the sender immediately by return email and delete the message and any
> attachments. *

Well... to be honest *this* footer does look somewhat untidy,
especially on a public mailing list.

--
Paul Hänsch                     █▉            Webmaster, System-Hacker
                              █▉█▉█▉