The source code of the music

Tobias Platen tobias at platen-software.de
Mon Jun 9 17:14:52 UTC 2014

On 09.06.2014 15:09, Massimo Barbieri wrote:
> Il 08/06/2014 21:10, Tobias Platen ha scritto:
>> Hello Massimo,
>
> Hi Tobias!
>
>> Some years ago I discovered a VOCALOID[1] which is nonfree
>> software, and I started writing a free as in freedom
>> replacement.
>
> Thanks for developing free software!
>
>> I also compose my own songs using LMMS, Rosegarden, MMA+Linuxband
>> and eCantorix[3] to create singing in a non-Japanese language. I
>> also do workshops at Anime conventions where I introduce people
>> how to use the
>
> That's cool! Because we have published also the Ardour session of
> our song some people wrote me that they found it useful in order
> to understand how to use Ardour and how to apply plugins to the
> single tracks.
>
>> I release the source code of my music under the GPL and/or
>> CC-BY-SA license. However I do not know if the copyleft of the
>> GPL can be applied to music.
>
> I think that the CC-BY-SA is the license that is closer to the
> principles of the GPL.
>
> Ciao, Massimo

Hello

The GPL requires you to release the source code, but the CC licences
do not afaik. I also found out that the wesnoth sountrack is released
under the GPL, so it is possible to use the GPL for music. For sheet
music one could use the GFDL which is designed for written works.
Selling GFDL'ed sheet music without offering the corresponding
lilypond source code might not be permitted.

I also tried to download the music from soundcloud, but soundcloud
uses nonfree javascript, so I had to use a shell script which does the
download.

Tobias