Fairphone - a free Android device?

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Thu Jul 31 15:56:32 UTC 2014

On 07/31/2014 05:47 PM, Torsten Grote wrote:
> On Thursday 31 July 2014 12:36:26 Tobias Platen wrote:
>> There are no non-free apps installed by default
>
> I am sorry I have to disagree here. It is heavily filled with non-free
> software.
>
> When I still had a Fairphone, I tried to make it as free as possible, but
> eventually gave up. Maybe this is still useful to you:
>
>     https://github.com/grote/fairphone-barebone/
>
> Please note that if you really want to use both SIM card slots, this currently
> removes too much.

Which apps are under a proprietary license? The "About" section in the
settings doesn't list any proprietary licenses at all. Only "Open
source" licenses, mainly Apache and GPL.

(I see the firmware as a separate, though also important, issue. But
Cyanogenmod also includes proprietary firmware, so the Fairphone might
be "as good" as that and a better option than phones which are hardcoded
to demand you provide a Google account.)

--
http://www.modspil.dk
https://blogs.fsfe.org/agger/