Most 'Free' Linux distro

Robert Kehl rk23 at fsfe.org
Tue Jul 29 23:52:50 UTC 2014

Am 30.07.2014 01:07, schrieb Allan Irving:
> So Debian out the box is GNU/Linux?

Yes.

> I understand that the GNU package originally only has ~400 packages
> listed. If I install a piece of software that is GNU GPL, I presume it
> remains a GNU/Linux installation although the software itself may not be
> directly affiliated with the listed packages of the GNU project.

On Debian, you don't install something from "the GNU package", but
Debian packages, which are, despite the non-free repository, are all
free software.

Some, but not all of them come from the GNU project, but all are free.

> Am I understanding this correctly?

Partly. :-)

> *This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that
> is privileged, confidential, copyrighted and exempt from disclosure
> under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended
> recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution,
> copying, or communication of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
> have received this message in error, please notify the sender
> immediately by return email and delete the message and any attachments. *

The above cite has no legal relevance, so why not consider letting it go?

With kind regards,

Robert Kehl