Fwd: Most 'Free' Linux distro

Allan Irving allanirving at allanirving.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 15:10:50 UTC 2014

I don't suppose it matters hugely, just I have had most experience with
GNU/Linux but could get my head around BSD if need be, I'm sure.

I was mostly referring to what would be regarded as the most free out of
the box as such. I tend to avoid using non free software unless I have to.
Of course when using a Mac or Windows machine, I usually have little choice
but have never struggled to find anything for my own needs that works with
Linux that is fully free.

If I'm honest, my knowledge of the licenses for Linux/GNU and or just Linux
OSes is limited. I know enough to use it, and enough to know the forks and
what is based on what. That's why I thought I'd put it to everyone here who
could help guide me in the right direction as a base before I install
something at home and get used to it, then get annoyed at myself for what I
have supported whilst doing so.

For servers, I have always deployed Debian...as it's available...and there
are ample guides.

Was just checking if I am as 'free' as I can be within reason.

Thanks everyone for the input so far, it has helped a lot!

*This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, copyrighted and exempt from disclosure under
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or communication of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
by return email and delete the message and any attachments. *