Single source strategies / Document conversion?

Federico Bruni bruni at fsfe.org
Sat Jul 19 07:50:17 UTC 2014

On 17 luglio 2014 14:11:50 CEST, Michael Kesper <mkesper at fsfe.org> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I hope someone of you has got experience with this subject:
>A department wants to unify its documentations. What's existing are
>500+
>MS Word documents written in a unified template.
>What they search: a way to generate different documents from single
>sources (user, teacher, support, in-line help for programs) and a
>"database" that enables access via search, index and keywords.
>Sounds very much like a jack of all trades to me, but maybe some of you
>
>know a feasible approach?

I suggest Sphinx, even if it doesn't have inline help for programs, as far as I know. But it does have a search function and it's very flexible.
There's also a tool to convert from odt to restructuredtext:
http://sphinx-doc.org/intro.html#conversion-from-other-systems

It's used by python and django project (and many others).