Smartphones - smart?

Allan Irving allanirving at allanirving.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 15:03:04 UTC 2014

Not really sure what you're achieving by calling it either a smartphone, or
mobile device in all honesty. Yes, it's a marketing ploy in many ways but
so are many things we take for granted. I also think for the average
consumer, the term smartphone helps them differentiate. I know many people
who don't want a smartphone, they want a basic phone so avoid anything
called a smartphone. It's simply a label to describe the handset, albeit
slightly misleading. In fairness, to the end user they are smarter than
they were twenty years ago. Siri is AI to some extent, people regard this
as smarter. Automation = smarter to some people.

I cannot see what is achieved, objectively, by calling it something else in
this scenario. Nobody owns a monopoly on the term smartphone as opposed to
some terms such as all vacuum cleaners being called 'Hoovers'.

*This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, copyrighted and exempt from disclosure under
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or communication of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
by return email and delete the message and any attachments. *