Smartphones - smart?

Paul Hänsch paul at fsfe.org
Fri Jul 4 14:57:46 UTC 2014

Simon Hornbachner <lfodh at fsfe.org>, Fri, 04 Jul 2014 16:41:37 +0200:
> How about "touch-based cloud-enabled mobile computing devices"? ;)

I believe we should be very careful, not to take away the conclusion,
that the devices we are talking about, are by their very nature cloud
based or locked down.

After all we want to see a market for small computie talkie thingies,
which run a completely local Free Software stack independent of
proprietary services. We must make clear that this is technically
possible, despite claims to the contrary by some vendors.

> I've also heard them be
> referred to as "dumbphones" (which only plays into the problem Hugo
> was addressing) and "feature phones", which is OK I guess.

The word "feature phone" is increasingly often used to name dumbed down
smartphones, that are locked up to run only one application, most often
a Facebook interface in particular.
Fortunately we don't see many of those in Europe or the US.
Unfortunately there are a lot of those elsewhere, or so I hear.

--
Paul Hänsch                     █▉            Webmaster, System-Hacker
                              █▉█▉█▉