Smartphones - smart?

Paul Hänsch paul at fsfe.org
Fri Jul 4 14:39:02 UTC 2014

Hugo Roy <hugo at fsfe.org>, Fri, 4 Jul 2014 16:04:51 +0200:
> Mobile devices is, I think, clear enough. Or mobile computing
> devices.

(modern) handheld computers

Which is quite specific. I remember the term handheld computer from the
90s where it was used to describe PDAs. Today it would include tablets
as well.

Also the terms "portable" and "handheld" other than mobile make clear,
that the devices do neither move by themselves nor require equipment to
be moved (like i.e. a mobile home).

> If however you need to specifically make a differentiation between
> phones from 2000s and phones from 2010s, well, let’s get creative
> -- but I don’t think we need to call them “smartphones.”

At different occasions I have heard the term dumbphone to refer to old
and contemporary phones with a comparatively simple firmware stack:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dumbphone

--
Paul Hänsch                     █▉            Webmaster, System-Hacker
                              █▉█▉█▉