abolishing cash/banknotes?

Tobias Platen tobias at platen-software.de
Tue Jan 28 21:03:01 UTC 2014

On 28.01.2014 21:39, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> On 28/01/14 21:37, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Daniel Pocock:
>>
>>> That, too, is what I commented - getting more people to pay by
>>> electronic means (making cash/anonymity appear shameful) seems to be
>>> the objective
>> Cash is already heavily regulated, at least in countries with a stable
>> economy.
>>
>> What has this to do with free software, by the way?
>>
> How much of the software used for those electronic
> currency/banking/payment transactions is free?

Most ATMs run with nonfree software (mostly Windows XP), but this does
not seem to be a problem for Richard Stallman:
"Likewise, I don't need to worry about what software is in a kiosk, pay
phone, or ATM that I am using. I hope their owners migrate them to free
software, for their sake, but there's no need for me to refuse to touch
them until then."

There is also a really old programming language called COBOL
http://jxself.org/cobol.shtml.
As most COBOL software is never distributed, developing COBOL programs
seems to be compatible with the free software movement.

Tobias Platen