Compulsory Routers in your country [CH]

theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch
Fri Jan 17 10:49:52 UTC 2014

Am 16.01.2014 14:58, schrieb Daniel Pocock:

> My blog entry about Swisscom backdooring their routers has been
> extremely popular

link?

> If it goes on in Switzerland then it can be happening anywhere

Also in Switzerland: I'm presently using a Swisscom analog phone line
(copper, self-powered, works without external electricity) and a
provider called VTX, basically a reseller for Swisscom like all ISPs in
Sitzerland, I believe. I'm able to use any analog phones (even 50
year-old ones) and any analog modems/routers. (They are of course
digital, but the line is called analog.)

Besides the freedom/security issues mentioned, I am able to switch it on
and off at will in order to use less electricity or indeed use models
which are more efficient, solar-powered, etc.

I want to switch to a different provider because VTX:

- use Credit Suisse banking
- use "dumbo"-advertising, always quoting speeds in "Megas" but now
saying what "Megas"
- try very hard to switch us to IP-telephones and more speed (which we
do not need) without telling us the consequences, e.g. a compulsory
locked-up router.

But from your experience, Daniel, switching to Swisscom would be just as
bad.

Anybody Swiss here have a good alternative to either Swisscom or VTX?

Cheers, Theo

PS Cablecom UPC have just announced a nefarious scheme to provide free
Wifi eveywhere there are private Cablecom UPC routers, but *only* for
Cablecom UPC customers.