Compulsory Routers in your country

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Fri Jan 17 09:41:24 UTC 2014

On 01/16/2014 04:12 PM, Max Mehl wrote:

>>> To be short: You have a Compulsory Routers, if you're not able
>>> to replace parts or everything of your infrastructure needed
>>> for internet access and related services like VoIP/TV. If the
>>> ISPs does not give you full privileges or information (or uses
>>> closed standards) for using completely different hardware, you
>>> have a Compulsory Router in your rooms.
>
>> Then I do have a compulsory router, I believe.
>
> So even in Denmark (I guess?), that's a pity. Can I ask you which
> service provider you use? I just thought about adding all this
> information by you and others in this thread to the wiki page [1].

I'm using Verdo Tele, which have a collaboration with www.waoo.dk/ -
see http://www.verdo.dk/privat/kompetencer/tele.aspx

I'm undecided as what to think of it. On the one hand, it's a piece of
equipment in my house which I can't control.

On the other hand, it's  a gadget at the end of a fiber optical
connection. I suppose there need to me *some* device to convert that
to Ethernet, and I don't know the technology well enough to know what
my options are.

On the other hand, the box is clearly a part of *their*
infrastructure, not as much of mine. When I moved into the house there
was some problems with the box, and they had to take tha "package" off
it and put it back again. The "package" is the combination of
Internet, phone and many or few TV channels chosen by the customer.

This means that they control which services they provide to me by a
setting on that box. I think it's a little bit stupid that they choose
to do so on a box in my house and not in a box on their own premises,
but I'm too ignorant of the specific technology to be sure it's a bad
choice.

But that clearly means that the box is *their* infrastructure, not
mine - my infrastructure begins at the box' Ethernet, phone and TV
outlets (and I've put up a wireless network behind it - am shopping
for one which supports OpenVPN to connect to AirVPN or a similar
privacy-conscious provider. The Ethernet has a public IBv4 address so
there's no NAT issue. I haven't tested IPv6.)

So in that respect, I think that security and privacy wise I'm no
worse off than if they'd placed their infrastructure on their own
premises. Then there's the environmental thing - their box consumes
about 10W of power and is always on, and that does cost me (30€ a
year, I believe) and is undesirable.

But well, feel free to comment. The compulsory router issue is new for
me, and I'm unsure about the issues.

Best,
Carsten