Compulsory Routers in your country

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 14:43:46 UTC 2014

On 16 January 2014 14:38, Max Mehl <max.mehl at fsfe.org> wrote:

> Sorry to ask but in which country did Sky Broadband do this? As far as I know,
> Sky operates in many european countries.

I'm talking about the UK here.

In the UK, BT also sell a completely-supported but utterly locked
modem. I have one here, a BT HomeHub 3. It's quite a nice router, and
I'd like to jailbreak it ...

> My personal opinion is that it's not basically bad that ISPs give routers by
> default to their customers. Of course, only one model makes maintainability
> easier and some customers do not even want to choose a router theirselves. But
> some people do, and imagine the situation that the vendor of your router is
> suspected to install backdoors for western intelligence agencies - and you
> cannot switch the hard- or firmware. Is this a nightmare only for me?

I'm not sure that's the most likely threat model - the NSA cracks
catalogue lists cracks for generic Huawei modems. So we come to the
problem of embedded systems that don't get security updates.

- d.