Freedom in computing - is (A)GPL enough?

Hugo Roy hugo at fsfe.org
Mon Jan 6 11:40:51 UTC 2014

+ 2014-01-05 Sun 04:24, ilias.k.cs at freemail.gr <ilias.k.cs at freemail.gr>:

> In short, how can I know what a system I am using actually does, in a legal way, besides sticking to the systems I know for certain that are free? How do we deal with uncertainty?

I am not sure I have understood your question. But as far as
knowing "in a legal way" what’s going on, I would say that there’s
not much to worry about, as a user, than if it is a free
software/open source license or not.

GNU.org maintains a list of free software licenses:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
(this is roughly the same list as the list of open source licenses
maintained by OSI).

Of course, there are many other issues to worry about:

 - does it use open standards? see http://fsfe.org/activities/os/
 - is it spying/tracking?
 - is it possible to run it on your own server?

etc.

--
Hugo Roy, Free Software Foundation Europe, <www.fsfe.org>
Deputy Coordinator, FSFE Legal Team, <www.fsfe.org/legal>