Blu-ray quality with free formats

Vicen Rodriguez Vicen_Rodriguez at fsfe.org
Sun Jan 5 22:15:28 UTC 2014

Hi Ilias,

I don't know what do you exactly mean with 'Blu-ray image quality', but
I think the short answer is undoubtedly 'yes'.

At Wikipedia, you can find info about:
- Blu-ray Disc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, the non-free video compression format used by
Blu-ray Disc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC
- WebM, an audio-video container format:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebM
- VP8, the video compression format that can be an alternative to H.264:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP8
- VP9, a successor to VP8: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9
- FFmpeg, a free software project that produces libraries and programs
for handling multimedia and data and has a native VP9 decoder since
October 3, 2013: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg

Best regards

Vicen