Freedom in computing - is (A)GPL enough?

Torsten Grote Torsten.Grote at fsfe.org
Sun Jan 5 11:27:25 UTC 2014

Dear Ilias,

congratulations to your switch to Free Software! :)

On Sunday 05 January 2014 05:24:21 ilias.k.cs at freemail.gr wrote:
> But I want to know what systems are being communicated when I make a request
> to such a service. EdX is open sourced under AGPL, but is this enough for
> me to know?
>
> In short, how can I know what a system I am using actually does, in a legal
> way, besides sticking to the systems I know for certain that are free? How
> do we deal with uncertainty?

Unfortunately, this is something that can in my opinion not be ensured with
licensing. Even an AGPL service can send your data to somebody else in the
background. The only way to prevent this, is to use the AGPLed software and
run the service yourself for you. This is also the best way to make sure that
everything is really free.

Kind Regards,
Torsten