FSFE Newsletter - February 2014

Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild repentinus at fsfe.org
Sun Feb 16 00:24:46 UTC 2014

On 15/02/14 17:06, Florian Weimer wrote:
> This is a complicated topic.  I don't understand why the FSFE is
> against CLAs, considering that it granted permissions to use FLA code
> in proprietary programs (see the previous discussion about the
> agreement with Bacula Systems—the published agreement is not even
> restricted to Bacula code).

This is indeed a complicated topic. FSFE is not against CLAs in general,
but some (like Canonical's) in particular.

The resolution of the Bacula systems was the least of many evils. We are
not particularly happy about the outcome in this case, but the choices
were not all that great to begin with.

Matija, would you please explain this in greater detail to our Fellows
and other discussants? Thanks.

Cheers,
--
Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild