FSFE Newsletter - February 2014

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Tue Feb 11 09:55:33 UTC 2014

Hi all,

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 1:03 AM, Johannes Zarl <jzarl at fsfe.org> wrote:
> Dear Hugo,
>
> On Tuesday 11 February 2014 00:05:02 Hugo Roy wrote:
>> It's not really helpful if you don't try to read replies to your
>> post and focus on details like how the QT company is named (Diga
>> or whatever, naming it the QT company is, I believe, enough to
>> understand for anyone).
>
> I did read your reply to my first email. I also replied to it step-by-step up
> to the point where you assumptions as to what I had meant in my first mail and
> what I had actually written in my first mail deviated so far as to where there
> was no common ground anymore.
>
> I did mention that part about Qt not being a company, but being owned by Digia
> because of the previous statement of you citing "BSD" as the "owner" of the Qt
> project.

Just to clarify: Qt does not "belong" to Digia, they only have rights
to distribute it under various licenses, e.g. if you want to purchase
Qt you go to Digia, but that doesn't mean they own it. The Qt Project
is licensed under multiple licenses exactly to avoid it being the sole
property of a company.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org