Smart Home - Lacking standards and lock-in

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 00:35:55 UTC 2014

On 18 December 2014 at 00:10, Jann Eike  Kruse <mail at jannkruse.de> wrote:

> I don't think we can stop that train. People love convenience, they love gadgets, they like to show off and they are rarely concerned about privacy or security in such contexts...until it's too late. (I'm trying to change that...with only little success.) Just asking myself: How many of you friends use facebook or cracked software? (Both are not very secure, not very privacy-respecting.) Many...most...all?

http://hackingdistributed.com/2014/12/17/changetip-must-die/t
"... we all know how lazy people are from the way they install flappy
bird apps on their phone with enough privileges to launch nukes."
http://hackingdistributed.com/2014/12/17/changetip-must-die/

> So I say, we can not stop it but only try to take part in the 'evolution' and try to push towards solutions that are (nearly) equally fancy but (much) safer, i.e. open standards, open source.

Nobody cares about freedom 0 (use for any purpose) until the lack of
it bites them in the backside. Even then, they will ask around friends
for workarounds rather than assert that they have a right.

So my first thought is to get people to think about how to demand
freedom ... that they literally don't understand.

We, as technologists, have a responsibility to people who, in any
practical sense that will ever happen, will never understand what we
do. I hope that scares you as much as it does me.

- d.