Smart Home - Lacking standards and lock-in

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 22:45:00 UTC 2014

On 16 December 2014 at 08:20, Nico Rikken <nico.rikken at fsfe.org> wrote:

> A topic I'm interested in is the field of home automation and home
> energy management, which are highly related.
> I'm curious how you conceive the developments in this field, in your
> country and for your use-case.

As "Swift On Security" put it:

"What terrible machines and tools have we inflicted on the public.
Ones built for us, and marketed to them. "Safe." Lies. "Usable."
Lies."
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/544658974662852608

"Internet of Things:
These are people's homes. These are people's lives.
And we'll throw them to the sharks.
The future is a dystopia."
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/544326340896235520

As I keep saying: when you see the phrase "internet of things", think
"unfixable Heartbleed everywhere forever."

- d.