Fairphone - a free Android device?

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Mon Aug 4 11:31:47 UTC 2014

On 08/02/2014 10:22 AM, Mats Sjöberg wrote:

> Hello Carsten, Tobias and Torsten, and thanks for this discussion! I was
> also under the impression the Fairphone was a lot better on the FLOSS
> front than what it appears...
>

>> I just went to write this on their forum:
>>
>> I'm a free software activist and just received my second batch Fairphone.
>>
>> Basically, I believe the "fair" solution as regards to software is that
>> we should always have the right to run, study, modify and redistribute
>> any software we use - which is rather a prerequisite for "owning" it, so
>> having 100% free software is very much in the Fairphone's spirit.
>
> I wrote a short reply to keep the topic active in the Fairphone forum.
> Maybe if we all chime in we can get their attention :-)

Hi Mats

Thanks for the support!

Just to follow up: A member of the Faiprhone community with some
interest in free software wrote a quite considerate response, in which
he basically explained that the Fairphone is a small project and right
now has more focus on mineral sourcing and working conditions and
transparency of processes etc. than on software freedom, but want to be
free software-friendly in the long run.

The same community member then started a thread to list non-free
software + suggestions of alternatives, so we can at least be informed
and use a free alternative where possible:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/a-collection-of-non-free-as-in-freedom-software-preinstalled-on-the-fairphone-and-possible-alternatives/

This is a step in the right direction, and I still feel better about the
Fairphone than about the many standard Android systems where you can't
uninstall Google Apps. Since they apparently do want to support free
software in the long run, I think the project with its focus on
transparence and ethical sourcing is a very good match for the free
software community. Only we need to keep reminding them that free
software should be a priority. :-)

--
http://www.modspil.dk
https://blogs.fsfe.org/agger/