Fairphone - a free Android device?

Torsten Grote Torsten.Grote at fsfe.org
Fri Aug 1 10:12:00 UTC 2014

On Thursday 31 July 2014 17:56:32 Carsten Agger wrote:
> Which apps are under a proprietary license? The "About" section in the
> settings doesn't list any proprietary licenses at all. Only "Open
> source" licenses, mainly Apache and GPL.

Proprietary software usually does not require a license to be shipped with it
to end-users and only sometimes you have an EULA.

When looking for proprietary software in our phone, looking for licenses will
not get you very far. You have to look at the software itself.

Most of the apps that my script removes [1] are non-free. Still, in order to
have a working device, some non-free apps and other modifications to the
Android user land are required.

The sources for the Linux kernel are also incomplete [2] in possible violation
of its GPLv2 license. This is one of the things that prevents us to build
better and newer versions of Android for the Fairphone ourselves.

Kind Regards,
Torsten

[1] https://github.com/grote/fairphone-barebone/blob/master/freephone.sh
[2] http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2636257