Question about free licenses

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Sat Apr 12 14:58:06 UTC 2014

On 04/06/2014 07:53 PM, David Gerard wrote:
> On 6 April 2014 18:46, Carsten Agger <agger at modspil.dk> wrote:
>
>> I suppose it would mostly fall foul of #8: Discrimination against
>> "fields of endeavor".
>> The definition does not state as clearly as the Free Software Definition
>> that the data can be used for any purpose.
>

> i've just realised why it completely fails as any sort of free or open licence:
>
> The term means "these conditions may change at any time without notice."
>
> So it's a temporary permission license.

I wrote Digitaliseringsstyrelsen, or rather the civil servant in charge
of open data and this license, and she has answered that this is really
a bug in the license.

What they had *wanted* to say is that the license does not release the
recipient from obligations to fulfill other legal requirements, and that
the authority cannot be held responsible for unlawful use of the data.

I've been told that since they had wanted to make a clear and
unambiguous license, they now intend to replace the "ensure data are
used in accordance with the law" clause with a disclaimer as outlined
above - which wouldn't be a problem, since it can't be read as a further
restriction.

Basically, they answered that this is a bug in the license and they hope
to be able to fix it in the next version. This is good news, especially
if they make the change soon.