Unitary Patents and the European Patent Court

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Wed Apr 9 08:35:10 UTC 2014

On 04/08/2014 12:39 PM, Erik Albers wrote:

> thank you very much for your engagement, I hope it will pay out.
>
> Fortunately, on national level, many countries inside the European Union now
> are aware of the damaging activities of software patents. Unfortunately, this
> is not yet true for the European Institutions and Lobbyists still try hard to
> to enforce them in Europe.

Thanks to you for your feedback. At least we're succeeding in creating
genuine awareness about software patents. Winning the referendum is
another thing (but let's see - there's some non-FS-related general
anti-EU boost too).

Fun story from Denmark:

Hacktivist Christian Panton created a JavaScript client to replace the
proprietary, privacy-invading, security-challenged  signed Java applet
deployed with our national digital signature/SSO.

The proprietary Java applet must have read and write access to your
files to run, which is not nice when it's a government-sponsored program
that must run on everyone's computers. For that reason, I only ever run
it in a virtual machine.

But Panton solved the problem by creating a JavaScript client, something
the company behind the signature has been unable to do with 40 million
kroner on top of the > 1 billion they spent on the solution itself.

They retaliated by threatening him with PATENT VIOLATIONS:

http://www.version2.dk/artikel/nets-vi-bruger-softwarepatenter-56815

When asked what patents they were talking about, they declined to answer.