Any suggestion as to how or if to proceed?

Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild repentinus at fsfe.org
Wed Oct 9 22:06:58 UTC 2013

Dear Andrés,

On 09/10/13 19:35, Andres wrote:
> I am new to the mailing list, I have cut out contact details but it
> involves libraries in the UK.

Welcome!

The venue is appropriate, but when forwarding a long e-mail exchange to
a list, it would be rather decent to briefly summarise it.

In regard to the substance, am I correct that your e-mail exchange does
not deal with the general situation in the UK, but with the local
situation in a particular municipality?

If that is the case, I would pick a few technically minded council
members and attempt to set up a meeting with them to explain the
problem. If you can get them to bring up the issue at a council meeting,
it will, at minimum, raise awareness of the problem, which might be
enough to get the council move its libraries towards Free Software.

You also mention British FS companies in your original e-mail. Are there
any who would benefit if the council moved to FS? Maybe you could
contact one of those and ask them for help with lobbying?

On a more general note, do you know how common the problem is in
general? Are there any municipalities making use of Free Software,
especially on their public computers?

Cheers,
--
Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild