Any suggestion as to how or if to proceed?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Wed Oct 9 19:50:11 UTC 2013

Hi Andres,

There is a simple strategy that all sales people learn: find the
decision maker.

>From your email, I can see that some people are sympathetic to this
objective but they are either not able to make the final decision or
whatever.  So from what I can see, you are still in the early phase of
this project, trying to identify the real decision maker.

What these other people can do, however, is to help you identify the
right person to speak to and maybe even help you get an appointment.
Documents concerning the Serco tender may reveal how that decision was
made and who made the decision.

In democratic organisations (e.g. councils) the decision maker may be a
group (e.g. the elected council).  That can be more complicated.

In parallel with trying to find that person or group responsible for the
decision, you also need to ask yourself: why will they care?  If it is
some manager or CEO, they will care about meeting their performance
objectives to get their bonus.  The performance objectives for a senior
official may be in the public reports.  If it is an elected council,
they probably care about one thing above everything else: getting
themselves re-elected, which usually means getting positive attention
from the public.  In any case, if you can identify the ultimate decision
maker and the way to motivate them, you can close the deal.

Regards,

Daniel