Any suggestion as to how or if to proceed?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Wed Oct 9 19:50:11 UTC 2013

Hi Andres,

There is a simple strategy that all sales people learn: find the
decision maker.

>From your email, I can see that some people are sympathetic to this
objective but they are either not able to make the final decision or
whatever.  So from what I can see, you are still in the early phase of
this project, trying to identify the real decision maker.

What these other people can do, however, is to help you identify the
right person to speak to and maybe even help you get an appointment.
Documents concerning the Serco tender may reveal how that decision was
made and who made the decision.

In democratic organisations (e.g. councils) the decision maker may be a
group (e.g. the elected council).  That can be more complicated.

In parallel with trying to find that person or group responsible for the
decision, you also need to ask yourself: why will they care?  If it is
some manager or CEO, they will care about meeting their performance
objectives to get their bonus.  The performance objectives for a senior
official may be in the public reports.  If it is an elected council,
they probably care about one thing above everything else: getting
themselves re-elected, which usually means getting positive attention
from the public.  In any case, if you can identify the ultimate decision
maker and the way to motivate them, you can close the deal.

Regards,

Daniel

On 09/10/13 21:35, Andres wrote:
> Dear All,
> I am new to the mailing list, I have cut out contact details but it involves libraries in the UK.
> Let me know if not appropiate.
> 
> **********
> 
> Dear Andrés
> 
>  
> 
> Thanks for this.  Basic set up in our libraries is as follows - both staff and public networks are supported by SERCO. They provide:
> 
>  
> 
> ·        hardware and network support
> 
> ·        infrastructure support for e-mail (Exchange/Outlook)
> 
> ·        maintenance for the PCs - fix or replace malfunctioning devices.
> 
> ·        support for the VOIP phone network used by Libraries
> 
> ·        some support for printers on the public and staff networks
> 
>  
> 
> The fundamental software setup is based on the same architecture as the council as a whole - PCs currently run Windows XP and Office 2003. The Library management system is provided by Civica.  Beyond the basic Microsoft setup we use software from a variety of sources, and have looked at a whole range of software from the proprietary (e.g. Photoshop Elements) to open source (e.g. The Gimp).
> 
>  
> 
> The reality is that the ICT resources in libraries and in the Council generally are at full stretch delivering a significant amount of change.  Regrettably therefore I don’t think there is any appetite or capacity to engage at this time in any further consideration of open source software.
> 
>  
> 
> Thanks for your interest on this though – I hope you enjoyed the opening event as much as I did and that you and others in the community enjoy the fantastic new facilities now that they are properly open.
> 
>  
> 
> Regards,
> 
>  <snip>
> 
>  
> 
> From: Andrés Muñiz Piniella
> 
>  
> 
> Dear *****,It was nice meeting you at the ***** event.Could you find out what the name of the company that will service the user side of the IT of *******((Public Libraries?From my conversation with Peter Bazalgette there is an 'Envisioning…' report that says open source in council libraries is the way to go but that it was up to Coucils. There is a general goverment push towards this as well, as you commented when we met.I then spoke to some of the techies in IT support for public service and they say they would love to support free (as in freedom not free beer) software on the public facing side, since background servers are already using free-libre open source software (FLOSS) tools. But they are stuck in the status quo. A particular techie said that talking to council to change was a waste of time, that I should talk directly to the support company. I do not think this is true, since the council is the client and the client is always right (if given a choice).Of course,
> general public is not going to request a shift from a particular american closed source company to one of the british FLOSS companies because they do not know there are options, consecuences of being in a sponsored monopoly for so long! That is why I hold workshops where I help neighbours using only FLOSS tech.Let me know if I am taking the wrong approach. And if you can help me contact your support companies.Regards,Andrés
> <snip>
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Discussion mailing list
> Discussion at fsfeurope.org
> https://mail.fsfeurope.org/mailman/listinfo/discussion
> 

More information about the Discussion mailing list