GNU/Linux phone

Otto Kekäläinen otto at fsfe.org
Thu Nov 28 20:37:57 UTC 2013

2013/11/28 Simon Hornbachner <lfodh at fsfe.org>:
>> http://seravo.fi/2013/jolla-phone-first-impressions
>>
>> Check out the screenshot with the terminal where uname -a shows
>> GNU/Linux :)
>
> Looks nice - I signed up for their newsletter. But according to
> wikipedia[0], the UI will be at least partially proprietary - so even
> if it's GNU/Linux powered, it's not free software :-(
>
> Links
> [0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailfish_OS#Software_architecture

Yes, it's not 100% Free Software, but maybe 99%? It's less proprietary
out-of-the box than e.g. Android in Nexus devices and I think it is a
positive thing that there is some openness competition to drive it up
in the industry to 99,9%, then 99,99% etc

https://sailfishos.org/about-license.html

Otto Kekäläinen                   []         otto at fsfe.org
Finnish Team Coordinator        [][][]  finland at fsfe.org
Free Software Foundation Europe   ||      +358 44 566 2204