Could there be a law to protect the free choice of operating system?

Vicen Rodriguez Vicen_Rodriguez at fsfe.org
Tue Mar 26 08:02:39 UTC 2013

Hi Matthias,

Yesterday (25/03/2013), I received a message from Mr. Nicholas Banasevic
(Head of Unit, European Comission, GD Competition) as answer to the
message I sent to Mr. Joaquín Almunia in March 7th. The message from Mr.
Nicholas Banasevic is in Spanish, as the one I sent to Mr. Joaquín
Almunia.

Here is a translation of the message (the translation is made by me and
maybe is not a good translation):

        ----------

        I appreciate your message of March 7, 2013 in which you reported
        that Microsoft would be preventing the installation of other
        operating systems in computers having Windows or the selling of
        computers without an operating system.

        The Commission is aware of this and is following how this issue
        is being developed.

        I assure you that we are willing to enforce the competition
        rules of the EU in a way that ensures that EU competition is not
        distorted and that markets operate as efficiently as possible
        for the benefit of all European consumers in terms of a wider
        range of products and services, lower prices and greater
        innovation.

        Consumer perceptions like yours are a valuable contribution to
        our daily work. If  you had knowledge of any other potential
        infringement of the competition rules of the EU, please do not
        hesitate to inform us.

Vicen