Fellowship Shell Server

Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild repentinus at fsfe.org
Wed Mar 13 22:26:39 UTC 2013

Hey,

On 7 March 2013 10:17, Michael Clemens <clemens at fsfe.org> wrote:
> Dear fellows,
>
> I think it would be nice to have our own multi user unix system that
> provides shell accounts and maybe additional services to us. Every
> fellow could have his/her own shell account and access to the following
> programs:
Personally I do not see much value in this ­– most Fellows have the
necessary clients installed anyway. Being behind a restrictive
firewall might be concern for some (IRC), but git and our Jabber
server can operate over HTTPS ports and e-mail ain't generally a
concern. Providing compilers would be even more of a hassle: if lot of
people decided to start using the server for compiling, we would need
quite a server park.

> * OpenVPN service, so fellows can encrypt their connection when they are on
> the road
The most reasonable one. However, bandwidth could be a concern.

> * web site hosting
> * databases (MySQL, postgresql etc.)
> * SSH tunneling
> * File storage
If we want a service that would not have restrictive quotas, the costs
are likely to be high.

> * Besides me, I would need two other fellows with skills in Linux/Unix
> administration
>   (and maybe in IT security) who will take care of the system
Should you decide to proceed, I have nothing against GNU administration.

> If this will be the case, I would suggest the following procedure:
> * The FSFE would take over the server and its rent
Have you proposed this to Fellowship (Deputy) Coordinators or GA members?

Cheers,
--
Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild
FSFE Fellow (en) / FSFE ühinglane (et)