Turkey's Erdogan visits Microsoft, Apple, Google

Sam Tuke samtuke at fsfe.org
Fri Jun 21 12:52:06 UTC 2013

On 21/06/13 01:30, Vicen Rodriguez wrote:
> I know it is a little bit late to propose any change in the draft, but I
> think 'Last week you visited America [...]' should be 'Recently you visited
> America [...]'

You're right, already fixed.

 or 'Some weeks ago you visited America [...]' or something similar.
> Anyway, the letter looks good. The initial draft was very soft and it may
> be convenient at times to use a more direct style. I think it is very
> appropriate to include the reference to the current situation in the
> streets of Turkey.

Agreed; we added an opening paragraph for the web edition so that online
readers will have the letter put in context. I hope that way that it is
worded, it wasn't easy to write.

> I think the success of all the proposals that we can make on issues related
> to investments like this in technology for students are very important
> right now. The future is being played in schools... and proprietary
> software manufacturers know it.

Absolutely. If we can make impact on this decision it'll be a good thing. I
tweeted the article using erdogan's twitter handle, and the project fatih
hashtag, so hopefully turkish media might pick it up.

> Yesterday I read this news:
> http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lausd-chooses-ipads-for-pilot-20130618,0,6957151.story

Bad news. All students should have the opportunity to learn to enjoy the
> benefits of free software.

I saw that too, but a pilot isn't the same as a done deal. Looks likely that
Apple will get the contract though.

> Going back to the letter for Mr. Erdogan, it seems there is a GNU/Linux
> distribution called Pardus [1][2] developed by the Scientific and
> Technological Research Council of Turkey [3][4]. I think it could be a good
> idea to try to send a copy of the letter to the group in charge of the
> development of that GNU/Linux distribution.

Excellent idea, we'll do that.

Finally, I'd like to improve collaboration for when we handle press releases
like this in future. If you had SVN access, would you have been interested in
helping write the HTML version of the letter (published on FSFE.org)? Did
ether[ad work as an authoring tool for you? If FSFE had guidelines for writing
letters like this, would you have wanted to read or use it?

Best,

Sam.
- --
Sam Tuke
Campaign Manager
Free Software Foundation Europe
IM : samtuke at jabber.fsfe.org
Latest UK Free Software news: uk.fsfe.org
Is freedom important to you? Join the fellowship.fsfe.org