various issues with using Fellowship smartcards

Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild repentinus at fsfe.org
Mon Jun 17 11:12:46 UTC 2013

Dear Daniel,

On 17/06/13 09:52, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> and it mentions that the card supports three keys: but from what I've
> read elsewhere, it appears to only support three 1024 bit keys, or just
> one 4096 bit key.  What does this mean in practice: can a single 4096
> bit key be used for all purposes (signing, encryption and ssh) or is it
> necessary to have three separate cards for each of those subkeys?
I am not sure whether the card supports assigning multiple uses to a
single key; however, I have been able to create 3 4096-bit keys on the
card. I have used the signing and encryption keys and those definitely
work. Unfortunately, I had problems with one card reader that worked
fine with 2048-bit keys (Akasa AK-CR-03BK External Electronic ID and
Smart Card Reader). Fortunately, Omnikey 1021 works fine for me. Neither
of those has a separate pin pad, though.

Regarding 1024-bit keys support only… This applied to OpenPGP version 1
smartcards. As far as I know, these are no longer distributed to
Fellows, so no need to worry about that.

Cheers,
--
Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild
FSFE Fellowship Representative