Are screenshots from GPLed software free?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 13:16:51 UTC 2013

On 30 July 2013 14:08, Joshua Gay <jgay at fsf.org> wrote:

>> This may be of interest/useful (?):
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Software_screenshots

> This is a really fun (fair-use and) copyright question! There are so many
> different edge cases with user data, fonts, creative use of the program,
> etc. that make it less simple than it might at first seem. I'd love to hear
> what others are thinking about this and if there have been any interesting
> law suits over screenshots or the like.

Wikipedia regards a GPL image in a page as part of an aggregation.

Have a look at this image and the licence tags:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AOO_Writer_4.0.0_Windows_in_Wine.png
Note how each piece has a licence tag.

Note also that Wikimedia Commons is *obsessive* about content freedom.

- d.