laptops sold with free software

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fsfe.org
Wed Jul 10 06:27:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 16:33 +0200, Stephane Ascoet wrote:
> Le 09/07/2013 16:11, Michael Kesper a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am 2013-07-09 15:58, schrieb Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos:
> >> The situation in Greece has pretty much changed the market in that
> >> aspect. From a very quick calculation it seems that around 1/3 of the
> >> laptops in a popular shop in Greece [0] are now sold either with some
> >> distribution of Linux or FreeDOS preinstalled. I don't know how much
> >> they actually sell, but before 2010 it was almost impossible to find
> >> such a laptop.
> >
> > Are there Linux user groups rising?
> > I hope not all of those Laptops get infected with a dubious windows
> > license. :)
> >

> Hi, yes, I'm amazed too. I don't think it's the same situation in france. Is this related with the social and economic sink of Greece?

Probably yes. Although, as Nikos mentioned, we don't know the sell rates
of these laptops. I guess that most people would stay with the
pre-installed OS before thinking of changing it to something else.

Linux user groups are declining here (like most of the Europe I think),
in favor of Free Software and Free Culture communities that emerge
around Hackerspaces :)