laptops sold with free software

Marcos Marado mindboosternoori at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 18:49:41 UTC 2013

Hi there,

In somewhat a reply to this month's FSFE newsletter, regarding avoiding
Microsoft tax:

"  - How can you avoid the Microsoft tax when buying a new laptop? Kevin
    Keijzer documented some tips and tricks on how to buy a new
    laptop[33] which is a nice follow-up on last months test of a
    preinstalled GNU/Linux laptop from Dell[34]. Help us in gathering
    more information on laptops without Microsoft tax in our wiki[35].   "

I didn't have an wiki account, and created one but it seems that it needs to
be manually approved, so here's some info via e-mail (and please someone put
it on the wiki):

Unlike what transpires on that blog post, you can buy some laptops with
GNU/Linux on a regular shop in some European countries, including Portugal. We
have been allways one or two different choices on the shelves for a couple of
years now. This models are usually also sold in some (but not all) other
countries with the same sofware. Nowadays we actually have three
"international brands' laptops" to choose from (but they're all variants of
the same):

ASUS X201E-KX133
ASUS X201E-KX134
ASUS X201E-KX135

Asus has been, indeed, the best laptop vendor in Portugal in this regard the
last few years.

We also have on our shelves INSYS WV2251ELQL, and there's allways several
INSYS laptops with GNU/Linux, but not allways do they manage to have them on
the usual laptop-selling shops. INSYS is a Portuguese brand, and I don't know
if they sell on or to other countries.

PS - just to be sure about ASUS' models nowadays, I did a search for X201E on
the web, and the first result was this model on amazon.com... with Ubuntu.

Best regards,
--
Marcos Marado