[Fsuk-manchester] [Fellowship-uk] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives

Mike Jones mike.jones at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 21:01:06 UTC 2013

Short contribution... I use Access Grid on a weekly basis. It is essentially a collection of conferencing tools and a means to share connection details thereof.  It uses vic and rat (audio and video) -- tools with GUIs built using tk-tcl -- and other non-essential tools built on jabber protocols etc. The AG tooling assumed multicast enabled networks but for point to point this is not necessary; and UK's AG infrastructure provided bridging on and off the mbone as well as support: this was provided by ja.net and formerly Manchester uni.
HTH
Mike J.