A lightweight laptop with SSD and good GNU/linx support?

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Mon Jan 21 13:29:47 UTC 2013

* simo <idra at samba.org> [2013-01-18 10:24:28 -0500]:

> On Fri, 2013-01-18 at 15:59 +0100, Hugo Roy wrote:
> > >
> > > What's wrong with UEFI ?
> >
> > Thank you Simo for pointing it out. What's usually wrong with UEFI (the
> > replacement for BIOS) is the "Secure Boot" feature. Matthias published
> > an analysis on fsfe.org:
> > http://fsfe.org/campaigns/generalpurposecomputing/secure-boot-analysis.en.html
>
> SecureBoot can be disabled in most UEFI systems, it would have been
> better to explictly say no 'Secure Boot', UEFI is much, much more than
> just Secure Boot.

Yes, "Secure Boot" is just a part, as written in the article above:

  In 2012 the industry-wide transition of PCs, notebooks, servers, and
  other computers' firmware from conventional BIOS to UEFI will be
  mostly complete. Compared to conventional BIOS, UEFI has several
  advantages, such as faster boot time, operating system independent
  drivers, and the promise of extended security.

  The security aspect is handled by a function called "Secure Boot".
  [...]

Do you have any statistics that it can be disables in most UEFI systems?
I have not seen any numbers yet. And what did you have to do, to disable
it?

Beside, we would like to have Secure Boot in a way, that it can also be
used with Free Software operating systems.

Regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Kirschner - FSFE - Fellowship Coordinator, German Coordinator
FSFE, Linienstr. 141, 10115 Berlin, t +49-30-27595290 +49-1577-1780003