A lightweight laptop with SSD and good GNU/linx support?

simo idra at samba.org
Fri Jan 18 15:24:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-01-18 at 15:59 +0100, Hugo Roy wrote:
> Le vendredi 18 janvier 2013 à 09:16 -0500, simo a écrit :
> > On Fri, 2013-01-18 at 09:57 +0100, Michael G wrote:
> > > Better still would be c) good, affordable laptop without UEFI and no
> >
> > What's wrong with UEFI ?
>
> Thank you Simo for pointing it out. What's usually wrong with UEFI (the
> replacement for BIOS) is the "Secure Boot" feature. Matthias published
> an analysis on fsfe.org:
> http://fsfe.org/campaigns/generalpurposecomputing/secure-boot-analysis.en.html

SecureBoot can be disabled in most UEFI systems, it would have been
better to explictly say no 'Secure Boot', UEFI is much, much more than
just Secure Boot.

(and someone may complain about proprietary binary drivers in UEFI, but
then the BIOS is usually proprietary too, so I see no difference there.)

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce