[FSFE-Manc] [Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Wed Jan 9 22:23:04 UTC 2013

On 09/01/13 23:00, Anna Morris wrote:

> I hope there will soon be a really good free software video option. Sam and
> I tried to call pidgin to pidgin on the FSFE jabber server the other day.
> It worked when we were in the same room at the sprint, but it didn't work
> at a distance sadly.

Anna, have you tried using a TURN server to relay the calls over NAT?
You will need to check that Pidgin supports TURN - Jitsi definitely
supports it

There are two TURN servers that I have packaged on Debian, for example:

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=resiprocate-turn-server
http://packages.debian.org/sid/turnserver

and one of them is now in Ubuntu too:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/raring/+package/resiprocate-turn-server

You can build either of them from source on many other platforms