Name of the system (was: Firefox Mobile + Geeksphone = Awesome)

Jelle Hermsen jelle at fsfe.org
Wed Feb 27 19:12:17 UTC 2013

Yeah, I don't expect there will be much GNU in Firefox OS. Personally I would love to see a mobile GNU distro that stipulates software freedom, but compared to the utter jail that is iOS and the mirky grounds of Android/Linux I can only praise Mozilla's efforts.

They might be talking about the "open web" instead, which is somewhat conflicting with the Free Software point of view, but their take on apps do give the opportunity to give the users the freedom they deserve. I could for example host my own apps, licensed under the AGPL and there won't be any shitty App Store rules preventing this.

But still, I would love to have a GNU in my pocket :)

Jelle