[FSFE-Manc] [Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives

Andreas Tolf Tolfsen ato at fsfe.org
Wed Feb 6 23:48:55 UTC 2013

* Så talte Anna Morris <say.hello.to.anna at googlemail.com>:
> I hope there will soon be a really good free software video option. Sam and I
> tried to call pidgin to pidgin on the FSFE jabber server the other day. It
> worked when we were in the same room at the sprint, but it didn't work at a
> distance sadly.

You guys might want to check out the WebRTC specification that enables you to
do peer-to-peer connections from inside the browser.  There was much talk about
this on HN the other day.

Of course it still needs an implementation to be useful in any way.  If someone
feels called to work on a free software web-based communication solution, I
think that would be a very good starting point.