Ebook readers

Federico Bruni fedelogy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 19:53:55 UTC 2012

Il 24/09/2012 11:23, Carsten Agger ha scritto:
> In these "Free Your Android" times I was wondering if anyone has had
> good experience with free software-friendly ebook readers?
>
> There's the Amazon Kindle which is actually a nice device in that it
> shows the text in a very "book-like" fashion, but unfortunately it's
> based on proprietary software and a DRM-ridden business model.

I don't know any open hardware project related to ebooks.
Most of ebook readers are based on Linux or Android, but they add
proprietary components.

I use an ebook reader of a french company... you can guess it :)

> I suppose any tablet PC would do, running GNU/Linux, but tablet screens
> are still "back-lit" unlike the Kindle and thus more of a strain for the
> eyes. Any recommendations?

I recommend using an ebook reader instead of a tablet. e-ink is nice
with your eyes and it works great in the bright light.

Cheers
--
Federico