Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives

Sam Tuke samtuke at fsfe.org
Tue Sep 18 17:19:49 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 18 Sep 2012 12:51:56 Mike Dupont wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > Skype-style network-buster
>
> that is a good idea

Yes, and it is necessary, because as other have said it is often (usually?)
network issues, like getting connections to people behind NAT, that cause Free
Software clients to fail.

Mumble seems to get around these better than the rest.

I'm curious why text messages succeeds reliably over XMPP, while audio and
video streams frequently fail.

> is that not what
> gnunet.org is working on?

Surely existing clients would need extensive reworking to use GnuNet or
Secushare? I don't see workable solutions of that nature arriving in the next
18 months, at least.

Best,

Sam.
--
Sam Tuke
Campaign Manager
IM : samtuke at jabber.fsfe.org
Latest UK Free Software news: uk.fsfe.org
Is freedom important to you? Join the fellowship.fsfe.org