[Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 16:10:25 UTC 2012

Linphone is the only FLOSS VoIP/vidfone app I've ever had decent
results with but it uses SIP and many routers are funny with SIP so
they often require config to work well with SIP. Anything that
requires people start configuring network gear is instantly not
consumer friendly if not a prob for most Linux/*nix users. The main
prob with Linphone is it lacks encryption, or it did last time I
checked.

I've ended up just using Gtalk which seems to be using webrtc as its
backend now. gtalk is non-free but webrtc is at least an open standard
unlike Skype and there are FLOSS webrtc clients (some HTML5) in
development.