[Fsuk-manchester] Software Freedom Day: Hunt for Skype alternatives

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Wed Oct 24 17:08:15 UTC 2012

On 24/10/12 18:53, Sam Tuke wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Thursday 04 Oct 2012 12:21:52 Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> I'm not sure if I can reply to all the lists on CC, but would it
>> be possible to set up a dedicated list for this initiative, or
>> could I offer to host a list for this purpose at OpenTelecoms.org
>> ?
>
> The testing event that we ran was originally planned as a one-off
> event. However, there is still much work to be done on this issue,
> and there does seem to be quite a lot of interest.

I've actually proposed a follow-up talk about the subject for the
upcoming mini-DebConf, as a developer of VoIP apps I'm quite keen to
(try to) answer questions that people have about why so many things
didn't work during the tests on Software Freedom Day

  http://fr2012.mini.debconf.org/#schedule

> We (FSFE) are happy to provide a new mailing list for Free Software
> telephony type discussion. Would you be happy to administer such a
> list? It would run

Yes, I'm happy to administer that, and mailman is fine.

> mailman (quickML is not a good solution in my experience, though we
> support this also). How about free-telephony at lists.fsfe.org?

Some people don't like the term telephony, they feel it is
restrictive.  Real-time communications (RTC) is more generic.  The
list could be called free-rtc, as long as the long description in the
mailman index has the full details, e.g. 'Genuinely free and open
Real-Time Communications (RTC), encompassing VoIP, IM and other
distributed applications'

> Would the list be for generic discussion, or coordination of a
> specific task?

The `Skype Replacement' headline seems to have stirred up interest.
It is always good to have a goal in mind.  The list could be formed
with the goal `to enable discussion among people who aspire to see
genuinely free and open standards for real-time communications become
the dominant paradigm, displacing scary proprietary platforms like
Skype and Viber'

> Do you already have some initial list members in mind? It could be
> a good place to coordinate more testing sprints.

Yes, I will email some of the key people behind other VoIP products
and ask them to support this.  Not all of them are FSF members, but it
is OK for them to use the list too?

As for the next steps, I think the min-DebConf and FOSDEM (Feb 2013)
are prime opportunities to take further steps.  I am submitting a talk
proposal on this for FOSDEM, and I would be really interested to know
if anyone from FSFE would like to support that or be involved.